I copied the below information on Mabel from the Alliance Historical Society Website. Take some time to peruse their website and learn more about this family, the home and the city. I don’t see any other information about her online but you might reach out the historical society to see what more they have to offer.
Biography of Mabel Hartzell
Mabel Hartzell was born in Saginaw, Michigan on January 1, 1875 and died in Alliance, Ohio on December 2, 1954.
She came to Alliance with her family when she was eight years old. Her mother died when Mabel was just nine years old. The family was divided and she was adopted by Matthew and Mary Earley, who were friends of the family. The Earleys allowed Mabel to keep the Hartzell name.
Mabel Hartzell was a very well-educated woman and was extremely active in activities in and for the Alliance community.
- Normal teaching degree, 1898
- A.B. degree, Mount Union College, 1905
- M.A. degree, Ohio State University, 1924
- Studies at the University of Washington at Seattle
Academic Memberships at Ohio State:
- Alpha Xi Delta Sorority
- Alpha Xi Delta Alumni
- Taught for 1 1/2 years in Bolton, Ohio
- Teacher in Alliance grade schools, 5 years
- Teacher of Latin, Physics, and Social Science in Alliance High School, 30 years
- Member of Alliance Board of Education, 1912-1924; 1951-1954
- Founder of Alliance Chapter of the American Red Cross; Director for 33 years
- Founder of the Alliance Historical Society
- Founder of Mount Union College Women’s Club; President
- Founder of Alliance Woman’s Club; First President
- President of Alliance Sorosis Club
- President of Alliance Quota Club
- Member of Retired Teacher Association
- President of YWCA; Served on the Board of Directors
- Director of Alliance Community Chest
- Director of City Savings & Building Company
- Life Honorary Member of Stark County Historical Society
- State Councellor of Daughters of America, 1905
- Member of Rebekah Lodge
- Member of Daughters of Scotland
- Member of Women’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU)
- Member of Ever Ready Club